Sunday 3 November 2013

Simple & Usable - a 5 year old's view

I've been reading a great book: 'Simple and Usable' by Giles Colborne. I'd put it up there with Steve Krug's 'Don't Make Me Think'. It really is that good. What follows is a conversation with my 5 year old son about the book.

I was reading about the four design strategies on page 60. On this page there are pictures of DVD remotes to illustrate each approach: remove, organise, hide and displace.

(This review of the book at UXBooth.com - which I completely agree with - includes the image in question)

4 remote controls illustrating 4 design strategies
Image from 'Simple & Usable' by Giles Colborne


My 5 year old son, Felix, loves: books, asking questions and giving opinions...


Felix: What are you doing?

Me: I'm reading a book about making things.

Felix: Are they remote controls? Ooh!

(Felix loves things with buttons. He's been obsessed with phones and laptops and the like since he was a baby. He's had our V Box sussed for a couple of years at least)

Me: Which one do you like the best?

Felix (Immediately pointing to 'displace' - the one with least buttons): That one!

Me: Cool. Why do you like that one?

Felix (Thinking carefully about this for a moment): Actually, I think I like this one the best. (Pointing to the one with most buttons - organise)


Why am I sharing this? I'm not 100% sure, to be honest. It just feels like a familiar kind of conversation. Only a bit more open and direct...

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment